2014-11-24

♔: Lolita Challenge: Day #1 :♔

Long time no post! Sorry for the lack of updates over the course of the year! Life has been pretty bipolar for me. Ranging from getting a full-time job and losing my grandfather, this years been a big roller coaster. Lolita, for me, kind of took a back burner for awhile... BUT thanks to some of my local lolita friends, I regained the motivation to update my blog and be more active in the lolita community!

Today on Facebook, a close friend of mine posted about this "lolita challenge". A few of us tried it out a couple of years ago and most of us failed sadly to keep up with the challenge. After talking for a bit, we decided to give this ago again! Hopefully this time, with each others support, we shall finish this!

So, on to the first day!


Day #1: 10 5 Things About your Lolita Bubble

To be honest, this topic was really hard for me. I was thinking about this all day at work and I struggled. First off, I don't know what the topic meant by "bubble". Call me stupid but I honestly was dumbfounded. I still am to be honest. I just took it as "influences" in the end... So I couldn't come up with 10 but I did come up with 5! Hopefully they make sense? XD

1) Community

Kawaii Kon 2014 with Aoki Misako
The Hawaii Lolita Community is probably (in my opinion) one of the best lolita comm's out there. There is technically two lolita groups here (thanks to some petti drama that happened a looooong time ago...) but I feel the Hi-Loli comm is the best! Everyone is always so kind and fun to be with. We all have similar interest and if we have any questions, we make sure to talk to one another. Our community is very active! We have at least one meet up a month. Sometimes we try to meet more but life happens. The state of Hawaii is really small but (like how Hawaii is) we are one diverse little group! Every lolita that is in the community has their own personal style and no one really looks the same (unless its twinning but that is a different story). With that being said, since we do come from such a small state, we are all pretty close. It is always nice to have such a close knit community... If we ever need help or anything, we always make sure to have each others back!

2) Friends

Me and my bestie twinning in Jewelry Jelly!

With being close knit, of course friends are very important. If it wasn't for my good friend from high school, I wouldn't be involved in this community. He joined before me and pushed me to attend a meet with him. I am so glad he did. That day was fun (a little awkward too but overall it was fun)! It really opened my eyes to the world of lolita more and made me feel more comfortable wearing my frills wherever, whenever. It gave me the confidence to rock the cupcake poof. Thanks to him, I also met some of the bestest friends I could ever ask for.

First time twinning with my good lolita friend; Darkly Darling!
Mah "sister" and I at the Misako Tea Party!
Casual days
I love how we can be so silly!
What makes me the happiest is that I can share lolita with my other half and my best friend. At first, I thought my boyfriend would hate lolita but he supports me with it. Whenever I wear it out he doesn't shy away from me or get uncomfortable and it makes me the happiest person in the world! I also got my bestie to dress up with me and she does own a couple of dresses herself! It's nice to be able to share this fluffy world with the two people who mean the world to me.

My bestie in rokku gyaru and me in sweet lolita!
3) Confidence

If you know me personally, you will know that I was NOT girly at all growing up. My daily wardrobe consisted of just pants, band shirts, and studs with my black Dicky's jacket and my fave pair of kicks. I've been into lolita fashion from 2003ish when I really got into Vkei. Throughout high school I always thought I couldn't wear lolita because I was:

a. too short
b. large chested
c. not very pretty
d. not girly

I always just observed and never participated. Thanks to said friend and the meet-up, I finally gained the confidence that I could really be part of this fashion. It made me feel so pretty and feminine. After that, I just fell in love. I bought my first pieces and just engrossed myself more into this world of frills. Thanks to lolita, I finally feel comfortable in my own skin. I am so comfortable now with wearing skirts/dresses and just being a girly girl. Every time I dress up, I just feel complete. I may not be able to dress up as much as I did over the past few years, but when I do wear lolita, I feel like I can take on the world. I don't feel as awkward as I did back as a teenager... I now have the confidence to do a lot more. I am still pretty unconfident in other areas of my life but when it comes to fashion, I am 100% confident in myself. Thank you lolita fashion.

4) Expanded Fashion Sense


I don't only wear lolita but thanks to this fashion, I now have interest in other J-Fashions. I have tried out many different types but I feel otome and gyaru are my favorites. I really do enjoy the more feminine looks of gyaru but I am still not 100% of the sub styles. I am still learning! Fashion is always evolving so its always fun to keep an eye out for the latest trends! Especially since the fashions I am into can overlap into one another.

5) Anime/Manga

Ok so like every other lolita, I blame Yazawa Ai for my lolita interest (besides Vkei natrually). I got into Gokinjo Monogatari back in my sophomore year of high school. Mikako was just love. She cracked me up but also made me think about things in a different light. Her "never give up" attitude and just her passion for things that screamed "fashionable" made me a bit more fashion conscious. Then I got into Paradise Kiss and things just snowballed. I loved the way the outfits were drawn. All the little details just spoke to me (I blame me being an artist for this one). Miwako was and still is my favorite character from this series. All her outfits just captivated me. Her really frilly ones just... ugh. I always wanted to cosplay as Miwako. She was just too cute! Thanks to her, I have this really huge obsession with konpeito and strawberries... *coughs* Back to lolita... Miwako was just too cute. To me, she just fit that look. She was cute, petite, and had such a lovable personality. I could really relate to her... She really inspired me (oddly lol). I still wasn't comfortable to wear lolita at this point in time but it did steer me in the right direction! Thanks to Paradise Kiss I noticed how much artists like using lolita/lolita inspired outfits for their characters.

Yes the most overused CLAMP image for lolita ever!
CLAMP draws a lot of their characters in lolita-eque outfits and so does Hino Matsuri of the Vampire Knight fame. Another good example would be Kuroshitsuji by Tosobo Yano.. Though not always strictly frills, she draws her characters in other sub styles (like ouji). I am a sucker for detail and it really shows when I actually do draw. My favorite thing to draw is clothes and especially the lovely frills and details of lolita and its substyles.


...And thats my list. I seriously could not think of anything else. I know I failed but my mind drew a blank. I feel this pretty much sums up things for me though! I hope it made sense.

Day 1 ~10 things about your lolita bubble
Day 2 – 10 things you love about lolita.
Day 3 – 10 things you hate about lolita.
Day 4 – 10 different kinds of food you like.
Day 5 – 10 items on your wishlist.
Day 6 – 10 things you can’t live without in lolita.
Day 7 – 10 people who inspire your lolita style.
Day 8 – 10 songs that inspire your inner lolita.
Day 9 – 10 things you will never do in lolita.
Day 10 – What’s in your lolita bag?
Day 11 – A day in your lolita life in pictures.
Day 12 – A picture of yourself before lolita came in to your life.
Day 13 – A picture of your favorite sweets.
Day 14 – A picture of your dream item.
Day 15 – A picture of your last lolita purchase.
Day 16 – Your outfit for the day.
Day 17 – What do you want more then anything right now?
Day 18 – A picture of your favorite lolita style.
Day 19 – What’s in your make-up bag?
Day 20 – A picture of a lolita friend.
Day 21 – Your favorite fictitious lolita.
Day 22 – A picture of your room.
Day 23 – A picture of your handwriting.
Day 24 – A picture of you from a meet.
Day 25 – Your favorite lolita themed artwork.
Day 26 – Your Facebook profile picture.
Day 27 – A song that fits your favorite lolita style.
Day 28 – A picture of the perfect lolita location.
Day 29 – A picture of a lolita you would love to meet for real.
Day 30 – A photo of yourself taken today and 3 good things that have happened over the last 30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment